Request Free Consultation
Birmingham personal injury attorneys at Drake Injury Lawyers

How Do I Get an Accident Report After I Am In An Accident?

Posted on January 4, 2019

If you are in an automobile accident, the first thing you need to do is call the police.  The police will immediately come to the scene of the accident and complete an investigation.  Make sure you provide the police officer with as many details of the accident as you can recall.  After the police officer completes his or her investigation of the accident, he or she will provide you with a card and a case identification number.  After a few days, you can  go to the police station listed on the card and provide them with the case identification number and they will give you a copy of your Alabama Uniform Traffic Crash Report, commonly referred to as an accident report.   Alternatively, you can also get a crash report by visiting the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency’s website and purchasing the report there.

The crash report contains lots of useful information.  First of all, it lists the contact information and insurance information for the other people involved in the accident.  Secondly, the crash report contains a diagram and a narrative describing how the accident happened.  Finally, the crash report lists the eye witnesses to the accident report along with their contact information.  If you decide to hire an attorney, you will need to bring your crash report to the initial meeting.  The accident report is a great tool for the attorney to use to help you with your claim.  However, the accident report is not admissible in court.

If you were in a car accident and you have a problem getting the accident report, you can contact a Birmingham car accident attorney to assist you.