Request Free Consultation
Birmingham personal injury attorneys at Drake Injury Lawyers

What if I am exposed to hazardous materials at my job?

Posted on March 8, 2019

Seek Medical Attention

If you are exposed to hazardous materials in an Alabama workplace, you need to immediately seek medical attention.  Time is of the essence in some instances, so you should not hesitate if you think you have been exposed to a toxic chemical or other hazardous material.  If you employer has a protocol for actions to take once you have been exposed to a hazardous material or toxic chemical, you should attempt to follow protocol.

Notify your Employer

It is important to notify your employer of your exposure to hazardous materials on the job.  First, your employer needs to be put on notice of your exposure.  Secondly, your employer needs to be able to warn the other employees at your job about the potential hazard.  If you are unable to notify your employer, at least notify another employee who can inform others about the hazardous situation.

Know your rights

Under federal law, you are entitled to a safe workplace.  The United States Department of Labor, Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) is responsible for assuring safe and healthful working conditions for working men and women by setting and enforcing standards and by providing training, outreach, education and assistance.  Alabama employers are required to follow the standards set forth by OSHA and federal law.  If you are injured on the job as a result of exposure to hazardous materials, you will be entitled to worker’s compensation benefits under Alabama law.  Some worker’s compensation benefits include but are not limited to temporary disability benefits, permanent total disability benefits, permanent partial disability benefits, and death benefits.  Additionally, there may be a third party liable for the exposure of the hazardous materials.  It would be in your best interest to seek legal assistance to determine who is liable for your exposure to hazardous materials or toxic chemicals. A Birmingham workplace accident lawyer will be able to protect your rights and investigate your claim fully.

If you have been exposed to hazardous materials or toxic chemicals on the job, contact our firm at 205-970-0800.